Banking is very important sector for the development of any economy. Jamuna Bank Limited is one of the most renowned banks of our country, which is successfully operating, from several decades. For the keen interest on my university as well as the bank. I have worked in the General Banking System. I have chosen this topics of my internship reports because its helps me to practical acquaintance on the general banking. Secondary I tried to identify the problem and find out the solution to the shortcoming the general banking and provide suggestion that may supportive for the betterment of the system thought comparing it with other banks.
This help to know the overall function of the Jamuna Bank Limited. While I work on the general banking, I had to know deposit, cash remittance and clearing and accounts department. I have shown different types of account that are provide by the JBL as well as the procedure of opening, maintain and closing of them. All the aspects of remittance are also covered. Others services which are provided by JBL are described in the theoretical part. Supplementary belonging, which are relevant to General Banking such as clearance and cash handling procedure, are including s well. To fulfill the objective I have done the analysis of some numerical data and showed them with the help of significant graph. The graph shows a clear up word trend JBL’s continues success regarding the financial position and the effectively of General Banking of the Foreign Exchange Branch as well as the JBL.
Necessary recommendation is provide to hold the services, which are accelerated by the bank according to the analysis of the report. JBL is institutions this is not only serving people and special service but also with great coverage. For this reason, the profit of JBL is drastically increasing from about the last decade, which is clear from the analysis of this report.
Economy of Bangladesh is surviving to get rid to get and from the world most underdevelopment economics. One of the reasons may be its underdevelopment banking system. Since 1990 Bangladesh government has taken a lot of financial sector reforming measures for making financial sector as well as making more and transparent a formulation and implementation of this reform activities have also been participated by different international organization like world bank. There many functional institute to control the national economy of the country. Bank is one the institutions of such kind. The term bank can be defined as a financial institution that controls monitory flow of a country by means of investment, savings issuing, and loan and through other financial activities. According to Cayern cross “A bank is financial intermediate a dealer in loans and debt”. To serve the purpose, the Jamuna Bank is working in Bangladesh with a theme of “Excellence in Banking”. As the consequence, this report focuses on “General Banking of Jamuna Bank Limited of Foreign Exchange Branch”.
Scope of the study:
The presentation of the organizational structure and policy of Jamuna bank Limited and investigating the strategies applied by it provide the scope of the report. The scope of this
Report is limited to overall description of the company, its services, and its position in the industry and its General Banking analysis. The scope of the study is limited to organizational setup, functions, and performances. Materials & data used to complete the report are collected from officials of the bank with due permission.
Scope of the study of my report can be described on following grounds:
Though it is assigned to me that I work mainly in general banking department, it was my honest desire to work in every departments of JBL in Foreign Exchange branch. I think it provided me a greater understanding of the organizational hierarchy and activities of the bank.
The internship program lasted up to august 18th which commenced from June 18. In this 03-month period, I think I was able to know the ins and outs of general banking of Jamuna Bank Limited.
Objective of the study:
The first objective of witting this report is to fulfill the partial requirements of the BBA program. Other objective of the report is to familiarize with the operation in the Banking arena including management overview of bank and analysis of banking operation in different section. More especially the objectives of the study.
Methodology of the study
In order to complete this report I proceeded through a work plan. I physically visited and discussed with executives and top-level management of Jamuna Bank Limited. This report has been prepared based on experience gathered during the period of internship. I also acquired information from JBL profile, the annual report and bank web site of JBL. I have presented my experience and findings with the help of different diagrams and charts in analysis part of this report. The details of the work plan are given below:
Data collection method
Relevant data for this has been collected primarily by direct investigations of different records, papers, and documents etc. Operational process and different concerned personnel. The interviews were administered by formal and informal discussion. No structured questionnaire has been used. Information regarding office activities of the bank has been collected through consulting bank records and discussion with office personnel.
The information and data for this report has been collected from both the primary and secondary sources.
- Face to face conversation with the respective officers and stuffs of the branches and head office.
- Face to face, conversation with clients visited the branch.
- Practical work experience in the different desk of the department of the branch covered.
- Daily affairs.
- Various publications on bank.
- Website of JBL.
- Annual report of the bank.
- Different procedure manual published by JBL.
Data collected from secondary sources have been processed manually and qualitative approach has been used throughout the study.
Data Analysis and interpretation
Qualitative approach has been adopted for data analysis and interpretation taking the processed data as the base. Therefore, the report relies primarily on an analytical judgment and critical reasoning.
Rationale of the study:
General Banking is a heart of any banking. And all types of customer took their services from General Banking. Therefore, customer satisfaction level depends on the department. As I was doing my internship in Jamuna Bank Limited, Foreign Exchange Branch so, I choose this topic to consider the present circumstances. In addition, it helped me to know the practical knowledge of banking operation.
Limitation of the study:
The study is constrained with some limitations. Some of these limitations are given below:
- I have worked only on General banking sector in this bank. I have gathered enough knowledge on this sector but there are many other departments, where I could not attend. So could not acquire satisfactory knowledge on banking sector.
- The employees of Jamuna Bank Limited remain so much busy with their own work that it is quiet tough provide time for making the concept clear in a particular area.
- Every organization has their own secrecy that is not revealed to others. While collecting data i.e. interviewing the employee, they did not disclose much information for the sake of the confidentially of the organization.
- Time constraints impede me to make in depth study.
- In many cases, up to date information was not published.
- I had to base on secondary data for preparing this report.
- I am not experienced enough to complete the study because I am a person of new hand on such study.
Profile of Jamuna bank limited:
Jamuna Bank Ltd. (JBL), the only prevalent Bengali name, among the private commercial banks operating in Bangladesh, is a Banking Company registered under the Companies Act, 1994 with its Head Office at Chini Shilpa Bhaban, 3, Dilkusha C/A, Dhaka-1000. The Bank started its operation from 3rd June 2001. Jamuna Bank Limited was established by a group of wining local entrepreneur’s conceiving an idea of creating model banking institution with different outlook to offer services to the valued customers; a comprehensive rang of financial services and innovative products for sustainable mutual growth and prosperity. The sponsors are reputed personalities in diverse trade sectors, commerce and industries. The bank is currently operating with 23 branches all over Bangladesh. JBL is an enlisted banking company in the DSE (Dhaka Stock Exchange) which went public in the year 2006.
Sponsors & Capital:
The sponsors of Jamuna Bank Limited are highly successful leading entrepreneurs of the country having stakes in different segments of the national economy. They are eminent industrialists & businessmen having wide business reputation both at home & abroad.
JBL is a highly capitalized new generation bank with an authorized capital and paid-up capital of Tk.1600.00 million and Tk.858.00 million respectively. The equity of the bank stands at Tk.1322 million.
To become a leading banking institution and to play a pivotal role in the development of the country.
The Bank is committed to satisfying diverse needs of its customers through an array of products at a competitive price by using appropriate technology and timely service so that a sustainable growth, reasonable return and contribution to the development of the country can be ensured with a motivated and professional work-force.
Your partner for growth.
Jamuna bank limited treasure is playing a pivotal role in local money market. Considering its volume & activities our central bank has nominated JBL as one of the primary dealers (Out of nine) to provide treasury function / services on behalf of Bangladesh government.
The sponsors of Jamuna bank limited are leading entrepreneurs of the country having stakes in different segments of the national economy. Jamuna bank ltd is managed by highly professional people. The present managing director of the of the bank is a forward-looking senior banker having decades of experience and milti-discipline knowledge to his credit both at home and abroad. He is supported by a sophisticated and skilled professional team with diversified experience in finance and banking. The management of the bank constantly focuses on the understanding & anticipating customers’ needs and offer solution thereof. Jamuna Bank Limited has already achieved tremendous progress within a short period of its operation. The bank is already ranked as one of the quality service providers & known for its reputation. Mr. Fazlur Rahman is currently the chairman of the bank .In every two years; the chairman is elected among the founding sponsors of Jamuna bank. There are 13 members in the board of director in JBL who are elected from the founding 20 members by rotation.
Corporate Culture of JBL:
Employees of JBL share certain common values, which help to create a JBL culture,
- The client comes first.
- Search for professional excellence.
- Openness of new ideas and new methods to encourage creativity.
- Flexibility and promote response.
- A sense of professional ethics.
- To earn and maintain CAMEL rating ‘Strong’.
- To establish relationship banking and improve service quality through development of Strategic Marketing Plans.
- To remain one of the best banks in Bangladesh in terms of profitability and assets quality.
- To introduce fully automated systems through integration of information technology.
- To ensure an adequate rate of return on investment.
- To keep risk position at an acceptable range (including any off balance sheet risk).
- To maintain adequate liquidity to meet maturing obligation and commitments.
- To maintain a healthy growth of business with desired image.
- To maintain adequate control systems and transparency in procedures.
- To develop and retain a quality work force through an effective Human Resources Management System.
- To ensure optimum utilization of all available resources.
- To pursue an effective system of management by ensuring compliance to ethical norms, transparency and accountability at all levels.
- To rise up to Tk. 1000.00 million by March 2006.
- To manage and corporate the Bank in the most efficient manner to enhance financial performance and control cost of fund.
- To strive for customer satisfaction through quality control and delivery of timely services.
- To identify customers’ credit and other banking needs and monitor their perception towards our performance in meeting those requirements.
- To review and update policies, procedures and practices to enhance the ability to extend better services to customers.
- To train and develop all employees and provide them adequate resources so that customers’ needs can be reasonably addressed.
- To promote organizational effectiveness by openly communicating company plans, policies, practices and procedures to employees in a timely fashion.
- To cultivate a working environment that fosters positive motivation for improved performance.
- To diversify portfolio both in the retail and wholesale market.
- To increase direct contact with customers in order to cultivate a closer relationship between the bank and its customers.
Strategic Business Plan
- The ‘Strategic Business Plan’ covering the period up to December 2003 has been formulated.
- The document visualized addition of at least 3 (three) retail outlets, substantial improvement in deposits, profits profitability and predictability. Moreover, the’ three-year Strategic Business Plan’ covering the Year 2006 is in progress.
Three Themes for Growth
- Introducing Card Network and electric banking.
- Expanding personalized services.
- Building strong presence in the Market with reputation.
- Dealing Room service for Corporate Customers and high network individual.
- Introducing more innovative products and services.
- Opening new branches.
- Expansion of Business network at home and abroad.
JBL has registered a steady growth in all spheres of its operations and expects to attain better results in the days ahead.
Target Market For Loans & Advances
- Agro processing industry.
- Textile Spinning, Dyeing/ Printing.
- Export Oriented Garments, Sweater.
- Food & Allied.
- Paper & Paper Products.
- Engineering, Steel Mills.
- Chemical, Pharmaceutical products, etc.
- Computer software and Information Technology.
- Manufacturing of artificial flowers
- Oil & Gas
- Liquefied Petroleum gas (LPG)
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
- Small and Medium Enterprises (SME)
- Full on-line banking
- Retail Banking
- Remittance and collection.
- Deposit taking including special schemes viz. MSS, MPSS, DBDS, and TBDS etc
- Import and Export handing and financing
- Corporate Banking
- Loan Syndication
- Project Finance
- Investment Banking
- Consumer Credit
- Lease Finance
- Hire Purchase
- 24 Hours Bank: Q-Cash ATM.
Capital and branches:
Jamuna Bank Limited is a highly capitalized new generation Bank with an Authorized Capital of tk.4000.00 million and paid-up Capital of tk.1, 313.26 million. The total Capital/equity of the bank stands at tk.2, 444.33 million as on December 31, 2008 Currently the bank has 43(forty three) branches-16 in Dhaka City, 8 in Chittagong, 4 in Gazipur, 3 in Sylhet, 1 in Bogra, 2 in Naogaon, 1 in Munshiganj, 1 in Rajshahi, 1 in Narayanganj, 1 in Kustia, 1 in Dinajpur, 1 in Noakhali and 2 in Comilla.
Growth of Jamuna Bank:
The Bank undertakes all types of banking transaction to support the development of trade and commerce of country. JBL’s services are also available for the entrepreneurs to set up new ventures and BMRE of industrial units. Jamuna Bank Ltd., the only Bengali named new generation private commercial bank was established by a group of winning local entrepreneurs conceiving an idea of creating a model banking institution with different outlook to offer the valued customers, a comprehensive range of financial services and innovative products for sustainable mutual growth and prosperity. The sponsors are reputed personalities in the field of trade, commerce and industries.
The bank is being managed and operated by a group of highly educated and professional team with diversified experience in finance and banking. The management of the bank constantly focuses on understanding and anticipating customer needs. The scenario of banking business is changing day by day, so the bank’s responsibility is to device strategy and new products to cope with the changing environment. Jamuna Bank Ltd. has Already achieved tremendous progress within only Eight years. The bank has already ranked as one of top quality service providers & is known for its reputation.
Since the commencement of banking operation. The Jamuna Bank Limited (JBL) has not yet only gained enormous popularity but also been successful in mobilizing deposit and loan products. The bank has made significant progress within a very short time period due to its dynamic management and introduction of various consumer-friendly loan and deposit products.
Jamuna Bank offers different types of Corporate and personal Banking Services involving all segments of the society within the preview of rules and regulations laid down by the central bank and other regulatory authorities. The bank gives special emphasis on export, Import, trade Finance, and SME Finance to woman entrepreneurs.
Jamuna Bank has started its Islamic banking, based on the principle of Islamic shariah. It has opened two Islamic banking branches at Nayabazar, Dhaka and jubilee road, Chittagong, more Islamic branches are planned to be opened. To conduct the Islamic banking of JBL, a shariah board comprising eminent Islamic thinkers and intellectuals of the country has been formed.
Correspondent Banking Relation
To provide clientele services in respect of international trade, it has established banking relationship with 641 correspondent banks in 107 countries covering major trade and financial centers at home and overseas.
Growth index and Future plan:
- Dealing room service for corporate customers and high net worth individuals.
- Introducing more innovative product and services.
- Opening new branches including Islamic Banking.
- Expansion of business network at home and overseas.
Consistence with the modern age and competing in a perfectly competitive market, the Jamuna Bank Limited (JBL) has introduced some innovative banking services that are remarkable in a country like Bangladesh.
The services offered by the Bank are as follows:
The bank has joined the shared ATM Network Bangladesh with a pool of seven banks. The client of any bank will have access to any ATM situated at different locations of Dhaka city. This banks client will get 24 hours cash withdrawal and utility bills payment facility. 16 ATMs will be installed gradually in Dhaka city and the network will be extended to other cities of the country in the near future.
To provide best possible customer services to its clients, the bank is going to lunch Master Credit Card shortly.
Money gram is one of the innovative products of the bank. This has been functioning satisfactorily and rendering promote and efficient services to the wage earners.
Jamuna Bank Limited is the member of SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Inter-Bank Financial Telecommunication). SWIFT is a member owned co-operative, which provides a fast and accurate communication network for financial transactions such as letters of credit, fund transfer etc. By becoming a member of SWIFT, the bank has opened up possibilities for uninterrupted connectivity with over 5,700 user institutions in 150countries around the world.
A commercial bank consists of a few departments, which perform diverse operations, General Banking Division, Foreign Exchange and Credit Division. General Banking is important one. General Banking is the heart of total banking system. Through this section bank has to receive and disburse money, to develop banker customer relationship by opening different types of account and providing promote services to the customers. This department collects money from the depositor and uses these deposits to earn profit. Last but not least, General Banking department is considered to be the core function of bank which operates the day to day transactions. The foreign exchange division deals with the inflow and outflow of foreign currencies in the bank. Again, the credit section deals with the loan and others facilities. The department is very rush and the employee here are too upgrade too their duty. They pass entry of every transaction within the day. It opens new accounts, remit funds, issue bank draft and pay order, etc. Since Bank is confined to provide these services everyday, general banking is known as ‘Retail Banking’.
Sections of General Banking
During my practical orientation in Jamuna Bank Limited, Foreign Exchange Branch, it came to the observation that general banking section is divided with four areas. These are:
- Account opening, Mail receive & Dispatch section
- Remittance section
- Bill and Clearing section
- Cash section
- Accounts section
- Q-Cash section
Current deposit (CD) account:
A current account an account, which is generally, opened by business people their convenience. A current account is a running and active account, which may be operated upon any number of times during a working day. There is no restriction on the number & amount withdrawals from current a/c. It does not earn any interest.
It has the following prospectus:
- Opening Amount/ Initial Deposit Tk. 1000
- Service charge Tk. 800
- Minimum Balance Requirement Tk. 1000
Savings bank (SB) account:
This deposit is intendent primarily for small-savers. The main object of this account is promotion of thrift. Saving account is meant for those who want to save a certain amount of their income and earn interest on that for future needs. All features are more or less like that of CD a/c expert for some restriction on that is imposed by the bank. Number of withdrawals over a period is limited. This A/C mainly opens on person name.
SB account has the following prospectus:
- Opening Amount/ Initial Deposit Tk. 1000
- Service charge Tk. 600
- Minimum Balance Requirement Tk. 1000
- Interest rate Tk. 6%
- One cannot withdraw money more than two times in a week.
- The withdrawing amount is not exceeding 25% of the total balance.
- If customer withdraws money, more than twice in a week than no interest is given to customers on his account.
Short-term deposit (STD) Account
It is a deposit account open by customer deposited money for short period. Customer can
Draw money after giving short notice. This account holder enjoys the same facilities of CD a/c including receiving interest on his deposited money. Interest rate of STD is less than the interest rate of SB account.
STD account has the following prospectus:
- Opening Amount/ Initial Deposit Tk. 50000
- Service charge Tk. 100
- Minimum Balance Requirement Tk. 50000
- Interest rate Tk. 6%
Fixed deposit (FDR) Account
In this category are included the deposit with the bank for a fixed period which is specified at the time of making the deposits. A fixed deposit is repayable on the expiry of
a specified period, chosen by the depositor to suit his purpose and to enable him to get back money as and when he needs it. The fixed deposit may be made for 03 months, 06 months, 1 year, 2 year or 3 year. As the date of repayment of fixed deposit is determined in advance, the banker need not keep more cash reserves against it and can utilize such amount profitably. The banker therefore offers higher rate of interest on such deposits. Fixed deposit has grown in importance and popularity in our country during recent years. When a matured FDR is withdrawn, the principle amount along with the interest amount (Deducting 15% tax from the total) is paid to the client.
The rate of the interest and the terms of the Fixed Deposit Receipt are given below:
|Term||3 months||6 months||1 year|
|Interest rate (Up to Tk. 5 core )||8.75%||8.75%||8.75%|
|Interest rate (Above Tk. 5 core)||8.75%||8.75%||8.75%|
* More then5 core & less then 10 core.
* .10core and above.
Various types of savings Schemes offered by Jamuna Bank:
Jamuna Bank offers various types of savings Schemes to its different types of customer. These are as follows:
Monthly Saving Scheme (MSS)
Savings is the best friend in your bad days; small savings can build up a prosperous future. Savings can meet up any emergencies. JBL has introduced Monthly Savings scheme (MSS) that allows you to save on a monthly basis and get a handsome return upon maturity. If you want to build up a significant savings to carry out your cherished dream, JBL MSS is the right solution. Depositors can take the advantage of this deposit scheme by depositing certain amount on monthly basis in 3, 5 or 10 year’s time.
- MSS account can be opened at any Branch of JBL.
- For opening a MSS account, maintenance a savings account with JBL is required.
Marriage Deposit Scheme (MDS)
Marriage of children, especially daughter is a matter of great concern to the parents. Marriage of children involves expense of considerable amount. Prudent parents make effort for gradual building of fund as per their capacity to meet the matrimonial expense of their children especially daughters. Parent get relief and can have peace of mind if they can arrange the necessary fund for marriage of their children, no matter whether they survive or not until the marriage occasion.
It can be a great help to the parents if there is any scope of deposit of a modest amount as per their financial capacity, which grows very fast at high rate of interest yielding a sizeable amount on maturity.
With this end in view JBL has introduce Marriage Deposit Scheme, which offers you an opportunity to build up your cherished fund by monthly deposit of small amount at your affordable capacity.
- Marriage Deposit account can be opened in the name of children below the age of 18-years along with legal guardian.
- For opening a marriage deposit account, maintenance a savings account with JBL is required
Education Saving Scheme:
Education is a basic need of every citizen. Every parent wants to impart proper education to their children. Education is the pre-requisite for socio-economic development of the country. As yet, there is no arrangement of free education to the citizens from the government level. As such, there should be pre-arrangement of fund to ensure higher education of the children. Otherwise higher education may be hindered due to change of economic condition, income of the parents at the future time when higher education shall be required. Today’s higher education is becoming expired day by day. Parents can get relief and can have peace of mind if they can arrange the necessary fund for higher education of their children. As such, JBL has introduced ‘Education Savings Scheme’ which offers you an opportunity to build up your cherished fund by monthly deposit of small amount at your affordable capacity or initial lump sum deposit to yield handsome amount on a future date to meet the educational expenses. Under this Scheme you have the different attractive options to avail the future benefit i.e. withdrawal of the total amount accumulated in lump sum or withdrawing monthly benefit to meet educational expense keeping the principal amount intact or to withdraw both principal and accumulated profit monthly for a certain period.
- Education Savings account can be opened in the name of children below the age of 18-years along with legal guardian.
- For opening an education savings account, maintenance a savings account with JBL is required.
Monthly Benefit Scheme (MBS)
Jamuna Bank Limited has introduced Monthly Benefit Scheme (MBS) for the prudent persons having ready cash and desiring to have fixed income on monthly basis out of it without taking risk of loss and without enchasing the principal amount. This scheme offers highest return with zero risk. You can plan your monthly expenditure with the certain monthly income under the scheme.
- Any person having age of above 18-years can participate in this scheme through opening a savings or current account with any branch of JBL
- Customer must be Bangladeshi Nationals/Citizen.
- Persons below 18-years of old may open this account with his/her legal guardian
The major function of commercial Banks is fund mobilization of fund. Other than this, banks provide supplementary services to its clients. Clients need to remit money from one place to another for their business or other purposes. Banks fulfill this need of customers by means of remittance service. Money can be remitted domestically or internationally, which known as local remittance and foreign remittance.
Demand Draft (D.D)
This is an instrument through which customer’s money is remitted to another person/firm/organization in outside the clearing house area from a branch of one bank to an outstation branch of the same bank or to a branch of another bank (with prior arrangement between that banks with the issuing branch). DD is an order instrument in which the issuing branch gives instruction to the payee/drawer branch to pay certain amount of money to the order of certain person/firm/organization. Commission, vat and postage are charged on issue of DD entries for issuing DD.
Example: – To transfer money from Chittagong to Dhaka.
Issuing of Demand Draft (D.D):
- Obtain D.D. application from duly filled in and signed by the purchaser/application.
- Receive the amount in cash/transfer with prescribed commission and postage amount.
- Issue the D.D. duly in and signed by the authorized officer.
- Insert test number (where applicable).
- Enter in the D.D. issue register.
- Issue advices to the payee branch.
Issuing for payment of Demand Draft (D.D)
- Telephonic confirmation.
- Examine the D.D. by verifying the signature, test number, serial number etc.
- Enter the D.D. payable register.
- Verify with the IBCA number.
- Pass necessary vouchers.
- Debiting suspense A/C and payment.
Cash section is an important section where cash transactions are made. Cash sections demonstrate liquidity strength of a bank. It is also sensitive as it deals with liquid money. Maximum concentration is given while working on this section. Tense situation prevails if there is any imbalance in the cash account. There are various systems maintain by cash officer that is under:
- Cash Payment
- ash Receive
- Transaction after banking hour
The cash department is the riskiest department of the bank. This is the section where tight security is required to avoid any accidents. There is a limit to be amount of cash that each counter can carry; carrying of excess cash is avoided for safety reasons. If there is any surplus in the cash then excess amount should sent to the Bangladesh Bank or if there is any shortage in the cash then the shortage amount should be borrowed by the bank from
Bangladesh Bank or from the head office or other banks.
Cheques, demand drafts, pay orders, pay slips and debit cash vouchers etc. are received from various departments for payment of cash to customers/payees. Prior payment of cash it is the officer’s duty to make sure that the cheque/or the instrument has been genuinely passed. The following common precaution is thoroughly practiced before honoring a cheque:
- Check of it is an open or crossed check.
- The branch name in the cheque.
- The date in the cheque is very crucial. Cheques are normally valid six months and pre-dated cheques are asked to present after the date given.
- Tk in words and figure of the cheque is same.
- Balance in the account is available.
- The apparent tenor of the cheque. Whether any figure, date or anything has been altered in the cheque presented. If any, then the respective officer must check whether the client is making his signature for alteration or not.
- The specimen card signature and signature in the cheque should match.
- Signature of recipient is obtained on the reverse of cheque.
- In case, where a prior arrangement has been made with the bank, a client may overdraw against a cheque.
Bills and Clearing Section
Clearing and bills section is an important section of General Banking. This is the section through which branch has to clear it’s inter branch and inter bank transaction. Customers do pay and receive the collecting branch the system is known as IBC.
As far as safety is, concerned customers get crossed cheque for the transaction. As we know crossed cheque cannot be encased from the counter, rather it has to be collected through banking channel i.e. clearing. For example, a client of Jamuna bank received a cheque of another bank, which is located within the clearing range. Deposit the cheque in his account at Jamuna Bank. Now jamuna Bank will credit his account and collected it. Though the amount is credited in the customers account but he will not get money until his cheque is honored.
Types of Clearing:
Outward Clearing: Outward clearing means when a particular branch receives instrument drawn on the other bank within the clearing zone and those instruments for collection through the clearing arrangement is considered as outward clearing for that particular branch.
Inward Clearing: When a particular branch receives instruments which on them and sent by other member bank for collections are treated as inward clearing.
A clearing house may, therefore, be defined as an organization of barks constituted for the purpose of settling inter-bank liabilities due to transfer of deposits by a customer of a particular bank to that of another bank.
SWOT analysis of Jamuna Bank Limited
- Experienced top management.
- Satisfactory capital base.
- Prospective IT infrastructure.
- Full Network all branches.
- Diversified product line.
- Strong liquidity position.
- Limited market Share.
- Low infection in loan exposure.
- Excessive dependency on term deposits.
- Weak fund management.
- High cost of fund.
- Islamic Branch funds are not ring fenced.
- Assets infection rate is still high.
- Limited branch.
- Regulatory environment favoring private sector development.
- Credit Card & ATM card business.
- Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Private sector development.
- New product development.
- Increased competition in the market for quality assets.
- Supply gap of foreign currency.
- Government rules and regulation.
- Overall liquidity crisis in money market. Market pressure for lowering the interest rate.
Financial Information of JBL:
In 2008 Jamuna Bank Limited posted an operating profit of Tk.1040.20 million as against Tk.824021million in 2007 with a spectacular growth of 26.21 percent over the preceding year. After having made necessary provisions for loans and advances Tk5. 174.39 million in accordance with the instructions of Bangladesh Bank Net Income before Tax (NIBT) stood at Tk.865.82 million in the year under review against Tk.405.04 million in the preceding year registering a growth of 37.62 percent. An amount of Tk. 382.05 million has been kept as provision for payment of Tax. Thus Net Income after tax and provision stood at Tk.479.44253.40 million in 2008 which was Tk.89.11199.82 million in 2007.
Jamuna Bank Limited has a conviction of maintaining a strong capital base in carrying on operate operation on June 03, 2001 with a paid-up capital of Tk.390.00 million divided into 3.90 million o of Tk.100 each. The authorized capital of the Bank is Tk.1600.00 million 2007. It increased and stood at Tk.4000.00 million divided into 40.00 million ordinary shares of Tk.100 each. The Bank’s paid-up capital as at 31st December 2008 stood at Tk.1313.27 million. Tk 429.00 was raised through initial public issue of 4.29 million ordinary shares of Tk100 each with a premium of Tk.20.00 each while Tk.214.50 million was raised by issue of Bonus Shares in the ratio of 1:4. Thus, as on 31st December 2008, the total shareholder’s equity and reserve stood at Tk.2160.73 million and total bank capital stood at Tk.2444.34 million.
Deposit and Deposits Mix
In commercial banks operation, starts with mobilization of resources i.e. trapping of deposit and then the resources are deployed as loans, advances and investments for the purpose of maximizing wealth which means deposits have dominance in commercial banks operations. That is why there is a common saying that deposit is the lifeblood of a bank. In keeping with this axiom, JBL attaches utmost importance to the deposit mobilization campaign and to the optimal deposit mix for minimizing COF as far as practicable. A stiff competition in the market as to the deposit mobilization and there was a pressure on interest rate. Dispute all this unfavorable factors JBL was able to instill confidence in customer as to its communities of the depositors and borrowing customer thereby could mobilize a total deposit of Tk.2530.94 million in 2008 against that of Tk.20924.02 million in the preceding year showing an increase of Tk.6383.92 million being 30.51 percentage.
HIGHLIGHTS OF JAMUNA BANK LIMITED
|Paid up Capital|
Total Assets ( excluding off balance sheet items)
Total Loans & Advances
Total Contingent Liabilities & Commitments
Advance Deposit Ratio
% of classified loans against Total Loans
Profit after taxation & provisions
Amount of classified loans
Provision kept against Classified loan
Provision surplus / deficit
Cost of Fund ( Deposit cost & overhead cost)
Interest Earning Assets
Non-interest earning Assets
Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Investment (ROI)
Income from Investment )
Earning per Share (Taka
Net income per share (Taka)
Net asset value per share
Price Earning Ratio
- I have learnt their general banking works for provide their customers and what kind of activities included there.
- I have also learnt about opening account and its closing procedure.
- I also learnt how to receive or payment cash cheque.
- I also saw what the reasons for refuse payment cheque are.
- I have learnt how to receive cheque and how to prepare for outward clearing.
- I have mainly learnt how to provide their customer services.
- I saw how to work their clearing department?
- I always saw, how to prepare the vouchers process of TT/DD /FDR /PO.
- I have learnt how to prepare the process of OBC /IBC cheque.
- I want to know their type of account which is provides their clients and what is the requirements need for opening their account.
- I have tried to learn about the process of a loan and what are the requirements need their process.
- I want to know their exchange department that was included how to create application for opening L/C and what type of L/C uses this branch.
- I was tried to learn what document are needs for export L/C.
- I have learnt how to prepare vouchers for IBDA, TT, and PO.
- I also learnt how to maintain customer relations and discipline.
- Finally, I learned how to prepare an internship report.
During internship period in Jamuna Bank Limited at Foreign Exchange Branch, following problems are identified.
●Human resource of any organization is considered as a valuable asset. But human resources, in the branch, are not equipped with adequate banking knowledge. Majority of the human resources have lack of basic knowledge regarding money, banking finance and accounting. Without proper knowledge in these subjects, efficiency cannot be optimized.
●There is shortage of computer in general banking section. Sometimes the shortage of computer makes some unfortunate event in that section.
●Though JBL using very popular software i.e. Flora bank on–line software but the use of it is quite difficult for the employees. (According to the statement of some employee of JBL, who has the experience to use more then one banking software).
●JBL are not taking their clearing cheque for other- They are using IBC/OBC systems to take that kind of clearing cheque.
●JBL not providing the credit cards in market which now a days one of the most important part of banking. So for it they are loosing too many customers.
●I have found that most of the employees are not satisfied with their salary, most of them think that they are not getting proper salary comparing with other banks.
●The capital of Jamuna Bank is not enough to serve properly. Even not to provide loan for consumer.
●Customers are not fully satisfied with the service of Jamuna bank. Since a number of new banks are coming to existence with their extended customer service pattern in a completely competitive manner.
●In our country financial problem is a great constraint in foreign trade. JBL Is very conservative for post-shipment finance.
●Now a day is on-line banking is a very common service for private commercial bank.
JBL, provide On-line banking service but they take source charge for it, if the customers do not use his/her mother branch.
A modern commercial banking perspective is extending business. The rewards are modest; the penalties for bad looking are enormous. Moreover, commercial banks are great monetary institutions, which can play a significant role in welfare of society and country more than any other institutions. JBL has gained firmed confidence in the minds of customers within a short period of its operation. Analyzing the whole scenario, which are tried to highlight in this report, we can conclude that, the performance of Jamuna Bank Ltd. is quite satisfactory but there is stillroom for improvement. Understanding this present competitive market pressure the Bank Management should start some special new services to survive in this competitive market. JBL is a new generation bank. It is committed to provide high quality financial services to contribute to the growth of G.D.P. of the country through stimulation trade & commerce, Accelerating the pace of industrialization, boosting up export, creating employment opportunity for the educated youth, poverty alleviation, raising standard of living of limited income group and overall sustainable socio-economic development of the country.
In would not appropriate to draw any definite conclusion right now. So the result of the should be taken as inactive rather than conclusive. During the three-month internship program in JBL, Foreign Exchange branch, almost the entire all desks have been observed more or less. In fact, it has been arranged for gaining knowledge of practical banking and to compare this practical knowledge.
In the internship, it is found that the branch provides all the conventional banking services as well as same specialized financing activities of the economy. General banking is engaged in cash receipt and cash payment, opening account, clearing cheque, pay order issue, ATM card issue, outward etc. the amount of deposit and savings account in the Foreign Exchange branch is very high because Foreign Exchange is most powerful branch of Dhaka city.
From learning and experience point of view, I can say that I enjoy my internship at JBL from the very first day. I am confident that this three-month internship program at JBL will definitely help me to build up my carrier in the banking sector.
Based on the evaluation of different aspects of JBL, the following recommendations have made:
Organization van work 100% accurately. They must face some problems. Similarly, the Jamuna Bank as a commercial institution faces some problems to give customer service. To overcome this problem, the banks can employee professional analysis by using customer analytical tools.
●JBL authority should train up their HR personnel, so that they can get a clear idea about banking knowledge
●There should be adequate number of computer to serve the general service to the customers. Employees should be more expert & trained to use the Flora software.
●JBL’s clearing should be properly online. Credit card should be available for the general customers of JBL.
●Salary structure should be revised for the satisfaction of the employees comparing with the other commercial private banks.
●Capital structure should be stronger to serve properly.
●Foreign exchange operations of other banks are more dynamic and less time consuming. JBL should take some initiative to compete with those banks.
●To encourage customers to use On-line banking facility this service charge should not be taken charge from the customers.
●Customer service of bank has a greater impact onits customer. To provide smarter customer service they need a call center department is very popular now a day.
●Jamuna bank can introduce some new schemes for their consumers like student saving account, Hajj scheme, etc.
●JBL should have to improve their financial condition so that they can provide consumer loan, such as: can loan, house loan, education loan etc.
- General Banking Activities of First Security Islami Bank Ltd
- Performance and Activities of Foreign Exchange of Janata Bank Ltd
- Analysis on Interesting Facts About Personal Development
- UK’s Market Finance secures $383M to Fuel its Online Loans Platform for SMBs
- General Banking of Dhaka Bank Limited
- Traditional VCs Turn to Emerging Managers for Deal Flow and, in some cases, New Partners