In English, there are many confusing terms and one such pair of words is advice and advise, which not only sound alike but also look alike. The main difference between advice vs advise is that “advise” is a verb that to recommend, or to give information to someone. On the other hand, “advice” is a noun: an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action. Due to which people juxtapose these terms however these are different as in the word advice refers to the opinion, view, preaching, counsel, suggestion, recommendation, or consultation.
On the other hand, advise is the act of giving or offering advice to someone, which may be the best possible action in a given situation. While the word advice is a noun, advise is a verb. In sentences, the word advice denotes what someone should do, whereas advise is used to indicate what should be done in a particular case.
Difference between Advice and Advise
- Advice means suggestion, recommendation or guidance offered to someone, with respect to future action. It refers to a suggestion, an opinion, recommendation, or guidance, regarding a particular matter, given to someone.
- Advice is a noun meaning “an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.”
- The word ‘advice’ basically means an opinion, suggestion, recommendation which is offered or given by any person about what you should do or act in the given circumstances.
- ‘Advice’ means ‘an opinion recommended, or offered, as worthy to be followed’. You give advice; you receive advice.
- Like any other verb, advise also changes its form with regard to the sentence, i.e. advising, advised, advisable, advisor, etc.
- Example: I will advice you to visit the doctor first.
- Advise means to give or offer suggestions to someone regarding the best possible course of action in a given situation. The term ‘advise’ is used when we refer to the act of giving counsel to someone, considering the best possible action in a specific situation.
- Advise is a verb meaning “to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following.”
- The word ‘advise’ simply means offering a piece of advice to someone, under specific circumstances.
- Advise’ is a verb—an action. It means ‘to give counsel to’ or ‘offer an opinion to’. It’s possible to be advised against keeping company with a, particularly wayward individual.
- Like any other verb, the word advice does not change its form, it is used in sentences, as it is.
- Example: They advised me to play for my country.