Converting a Fraction to a Percent
Do the following steps to convert a fraction to a percent:
For example Convert 4/5 to a percent.
- Divide the numerator of the fraction by the denominator (e.g. 4 ÷ 5=0.80)
- Multiply by 100 (Move the decimal point two places to the right) (e.g. 0.80*100 = 80)
- Round the answer to the desired precision.
Follow the answer with the % sign (e.g. 80%)
Remember that a percent is really just a special way of expressing a fraction as a number out of 100. To convert a fraction to a percent, first, divide the numerator by the denominator. Then multiply the decimal by 100.
That is, the fraction 4848 can be converted to decimal by dividing 4 by 8. It can be converted to percent by multiplying the decimal by 100.
4 ÷ 8 = 0.50
0.5 × 100 = 50
So, the fraction 4848 is equivalent to 50%.
On the other hand, when expressed as percentages, these numbers are followed by the % symbol. In this form, the number is compared to a unit, with 100% equivalent to 1. For example, 200% corresponds to 2, and 50% – to 0.5.
Converting a Percent to a Fraction
Do the following steps to convert a percent to a fraction:
For example: Convert 83% to a fraction.
- Remove the Percent sign
- Make a fraction with the percent as the numerator and 100 as the denominator (e.g. 83/100)
- Reduce the fraction if needed.
- If you want to express a percentage as a fraction, follow these steps:
- Realize that 100% is equivalent to a unit. That means that every single percent corresponds to 1/100.
- Divide your number by 100%. Let’s assume we want to turn 25% into a fraction. After dividing it by 100%, we will get 25/100.
- Simplify the fraction by finding the greatest common factor. For 25 and 100, the LCD is equal to 25. Hence 25/100 = (25/25) / (100/25) = 1/4.
Simple calculations can be done by hand in a few seconds. If you are working with large numbers, we recommend relying on this convert fraction to percent calculator – it automatically simplifies all fractions, making hand calculations unnecessary.