A press release is an official announcement. It is a brief document that shares something newsworthy you have done with the press and other media outlets. It is an official statement issued to newspapers giving information on a particular matter. It is a statement giving information to the press for its publication. It is an official announcement (written or recorded) that organization issues to the news media and beyond. Information is prepared by its own staff of the organization. The press release covers important events e.g. the company issued a press release, to end speculation about its future. If you’re a business owner or PR rep looking to spread information about your brand, press releases are the way to go!
A press release is traditionally composed of nine structural elements, including a headline, introduction, body, and other information. They are one of the easiest ways to engage journalists and get your news story published. It is usually sent to journalists and editors who may use the information to write a news article. The main purpose of all press releases is to promote something significant and specific and to do so clearly. The goal of a press release is to pique the interest of a journalist or publication. The press release should contain all the essential information (who? what? where? when? how? and most importantly why?) for the journalist to easily produce his own story.
Types of Press Releases:
- New Product Launches – The product launch type of press release is valuable to get the word out about the new solutions your organization is offering to consumers.
- Mergers and Acquisitions – To announce an acquisition or merger, include details about all organizations involved, information about the merger or acquisition, and quotes from the leadership teams.
- Product Updates – Similar to a new product launch, product updates and expansions are also ripe for promotion.
- Events – Press releases are an important component of event marketing to attract promotion from news outlets and other media sources.
- Grand Openings – Whether you opened up a new office, relocated, or are opening for the first time, announce the details with a grand opening press release.
- New Partnerships – Similar to mergers and acquisitions, a press release announcing new partnerships is a mutually beneficial marketing tactic.
- Rebranding – Rebranding is a difficult thing for any business to do, and it can occasionally result in confusion and awkwardness.
- Executive Promotions/Hiring – Executives often serve as faces of the company, and a press release functions to kick off this role.
- Awards – Press releases about awards and accomplishments serve to cement your organization as an authority in your space.